[LMU-OSC News] Live-screening & panel discussion: "Paywall - The Business of Scholarship", Dec 14

LMU Open Science Center News lmu-osc at lists.lrz.de
Mon Nov 5 15:54:28 CET 2018

# Live-screening & panel discussion: "Paywall - The Business of
Scholarship",

## Dec 14, 2018, 14:30 - 16:30, Lecture Hall M 018,
Geschwister-Scholl-Platz 1, LMU Munich.

We are happy to announce that a collaboration of the LMU Open Science
Center, LMU University Library, and Leibniz Institute for Psychology
Information (ZPID) will present the movie "Paywall - The Business of
Scholarship" in Munich. As a special guest, we welcome the director and
producer of the movie, Prof. Jason Schmitt (Clarkson University, USA).

The movie is a documentary which focuses on the need for open access to
research and science. It questions the rationale behind the $25.2
billion a year that flows into for-profit academic publishers, examines
the 35-40% profit margin associated with the top academic publishers,
and looks at the factors impeding global academic innovation.

We will live-screen the movie, and have a subsequent panel discussion,
featuring the following panelists:

- Prof. Jason Schmitt (Director and producer of the movie; Clarkson
University, USA)
- Prof. Michael Bosnjak (Leibniz Institute for Psychology Information,
ZPID, Trier)
- Volker Schallehn (Head of Electronic Publishing, University Library,
LMU)
- Prof. Nikolaus Plesnila (LMU Open Science Center; University Hospital
of Munich)

See the trailer of the movie here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaHlcwyn2Jk&feature=youtu.be

The event will take place on Friday, Dec 14, 2018 from 14:30 to 16:30 in
Lecture Hall M 018, Geschwister-Scholl-Platz 1, LMU Munich.

##Claim your (free!) ticket here:
http://www.leibniz-psychology.org/paywall/
##Feel free to forward this announcement to interested friends and
colleagues!

---
Dr. Felix Schönbrodt
Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München, Germany

Managing Director of the LMU Open Science Center | http://www.osc.lmu.de
Psychological Methods and Assessment, Department Psychology |
http://www.psy.lmu.de/pm_en/team/staff/schoenbrodt

![](cid:7D1725D4-11BC-4300-9DC2-86DE14BCDE5C at psy.lmu.de
"OSC_Paywall_Plakat.jpg")