[LMU-OSC News] Welcome our new members: 4 researchers and 1 institute

LMU Open Science Center News lmu-osc at lists.lrz.de
Thu Mar 5 14:34:48 CET 2020

# Please welcome our new members - [4
researchers](https://www.osc.uni-muenchen.de/news/newsmember4/index.html)
and [1
institute](https://www.osc.uni-muenchen.de/news/newsmember5/index.html):

### Prof. Dr. Marco Düring (Institute for Stroke and Dementia Research)
https://www.isd-research.de/duering-lab

I am research group leader and Professor for Experimental Neurology at
the Institute for Stroke and Dementia Research.

Research must always be performed in an open and reproducible fashion.
This is especially true in the age of big data, which can facilitate
questionable research practices, such as p-hacking. Sharing methodology,
pre-specifying analyses and independent replication are the best tools
to solve the reproducibility crisis. I’m looking forward to working
with the Open Science center in order to promote Open Science.

### Dr. Julian Unkel (Department of Media and Communication)
https://www.ls1.ifkw.uni-muenchen.de/personen/wiss_ma/unkel_julian/index.html

I am a postdoctoral researcher at the Department of Media and
Communication. My field has been slowly but steadily adapting open
science practices in the last few years. I try to promote open science
by consequently following open science standards in my own research, by
contributing to open-source research software development, and by
integrating topics such as preregistration and reproducibility into my
course syllabi. I am also part of an international multi-author team
that suggests “An agenda for open science in Communication” in the
Journal of Communication.

### Prof. Dr. Helmut Küchenhoff (Statistical consulting laboratory)
https://www.stablab.stat.uni-muenchen.de/personen/leitung/kuechenhoff1/index.html

I am head of the Statistical Consulting Unit (StaBLab) at the Department
of Statistics, LMU. I want to integrate the ideas of open science and
reproducable research into our consulting practice.

### Dr. Julia Schulte-Cloos (Geschwister-Scholl-Institute for Political
Science)
https://www.gsi.uni-muenchen.de/personen/wiss_mitarbeiter/julia_schulte-cloos_dr/index.html

I am LMU Research Fellow at the Geschwister Scholl Institute of
Political Science and an advocate of open science. I have been actively
involved in teaching reproducible research. I am convinced that
spreading knowledge about research transparency tools and practices
helps to promote support for open science among students and the
scientific community. I am also a member of the catalyst network of the
Berkeley Initiative for Transparency in the Social Sciences (BITSS).

### The Department of Statistics
https://www.osc.uni-muenchen.de/news/newsmember5/index.html

The Department of Statistics does research on development and
application of statistical and machine learning methods. Statistical
consulting and teaching are at the core of the department. It is located
next to the Siegestor in Munich (see image).

The LMU Department of Statistics supports the goals of the OSC and wants
to take on a leading role in fostering good research practices and
promoting open science. The department believes that statistics as a
subject plays a major role in solving the reproducibility crisis and in
working towards better, open research.

*With our 4 new members, from 4 different disciplines, the OSC counts 54
members from 15 disciplines.*

---
![](cid:81CFBFEE-D7EE-4D68-AB55-EBBF3FE6CC84 at nicebread.de
"PastedImage.png")