[LMU-OSC News] Keynote by Andrew Gelman: Social Science and the Replication Crisis

LMU Open Science Center News lmu-osc at lists.lrz.de
Wed Sep 30 07:52:39 CEST 2020

Dear all,

on Thursday, 8 October 2020, 15:00, there is a keynote by Andrew Gelman
at WZB which might be of interest to you:

### Social Science and the Replication Crisis
Keynote by Andrew Gelman, Department of Statistics and Department of
Political Science, Columbia University

The replication crisis is typically discussed in the context of
particular silly claims, or in terms of the sociology of science, or
with regard to controversies in statistical practice. Here we discuss
the content of unreplicated or otherwise shaky empirical claims in
social science, which often seem to be associated with a model in which
important attitudes and behavior can be easily manipulated using
irrelevant stimuli. This set of theories, if true, would have important
implications for politics and society, supporting certain views held on
the left, right, and technocratic center of the political spectrum.
Conversely, the lack of empirical support for the manipulable-human
model has social and political implications which are worth considering:
If people are not so easily swayed in this way, this suggests that we
should try to more carefully understand their direct motivations.

For details and Zoom link, see
https://wzb.eu/en/events/social-science-and-the-replication-crisis

---
![](cid:7945994E-C6E8-4BEC-9A43-20922F4E4A07 at psy.lmu.de