[LMU-OSC News] Invitation: ReproducibiliTea - Session 5

LMU Open Science Center News lmu-osc at lists.lrz.de
Tue Jun 28 12:20:18 CEST 2022

Hello all,

we would like to invite you to the sixth meeting of our Journal Club “ReproducibiliTea” which will already take place next Friday. We are very happy to welcome Marlene Altenmüller (LMU Munich) and Dr. Tobias Wingen (University of Bonn) as our guests who will open the session with an introductory talk.

When? Friday, 1st of July 2022, 2:30pm-4:00pm
Where? Via Zoom: Meeting ID: 917 8852 1090 / Password: Replicate (https://lmu-munich.zoom.us/j/91788521090?pwd=QmJPeEZLcGtYeGlmeGFnazVoUVFzQT09)
Paper 1: Wingen, T., Berkessel, J. B., & Englich, B. (2020). No replication, no trust? How low replicability influences trust in psychology. Social Psychological and Personality Science, 11(4), 454-463. https://doi.org/10.1177/1948550619877412
Paper 2: Altenmüller, M. S., Nuding, S., & Gollwitzer, M. (2021). No harm in being self-corrective: Self-criticism and reform intentions increase researchers’ epistemic trustworthiness and credibility in the eyes of the public. Public understanding of science, 30(8), 962-976. https://doi.org/10.1177/09636625211022181
Procedure: Marlene Altenmüller (LMU Munich) and Dr. Tobias Wingen (University of Bonn), both authors of the respective papers, will start with a short talk about the two papers (roughly 30 min). We will then continue with an open discussion in which you can contribute your own thoughts and questions.

It would be helpful to have read the announced papers, but there is no obligation to do so. We prepared the following key questions to guide you through the discussion and also provide some guidance while reading the papers. For each question, you can think about the suggestions from the papers, but also bring in your own ideas:

1. How could researchers restore public trust in social sciences (damaged by the replication crisis)?
2. How should researchers inform a) the public and b) their students about the replication crisis in social sciences?
3. What role do self-criticism and doubt play in communicating one's research a) to the public and b) to students?

Below, you can find a short abstract for the introductory talk by our two guests: Marlene Altenmüller (LMU Munich) and Dr. Tobias Wingen (University of Bonn)

We are looking forward to seeing you soon! Feel free to contact us if you have any questions and/or remarks.

Your organisation team
Laura Goetz, Stephan Nuding, Leonhard Schramm

Public Trust in Science and the Replication Crisis: Challenges and Opportunities for Science Communication

The replication crisis and scientific self-correction are central topics in the current psychological debate. However, less is known about how non-scientists (e.g., the public) react to these controversies. In the first part of this talk, Tobias Wingen will present a series of studies showing that low replicability may damage public trust in psychological science. These studies further show that this damaged trust is difficult to repair. Overall, this line of work suggests that non-scientists react negatively to failed replications. In the second part of the talk, Marlene Altenmüller will present studies that demonstrate no harm of researchers’ self-correction (i.e., self-criticism of prior research and intentions for reforms in future research) on the public’s trust in science. This line of work suggests, that non-scientists favour a critical stance towards science. The presenters look forward to a stimulating discussion, which may focus on similarities and differences of their approaches, implications for science communication and teaching, and future direction.

About the speakers

Marlene Altenmüller

Marlene Altenmüller is a research associate with the social psychology group at LMU Munich. Her work focuses on trust in and within science and, more broadly, science reception (e.g., motivated science reception), as well as art reception (e.g., aesthetic experience and impact) and social justice (e.g., justice sensitivity). Marlene’s doctoral thesis – hot off the press – applies social psychological theories on trust, stereotypes, and self-disclosing communication in the domain of researchers’ science communication and laypeople’s trust in science.

Dr. Tobias Wingen

The work of Dr. Tobias Wingen focuses on trust in science and science communication, which he often studies from a social-cognitive perspective. A central topic of his work are determinants and consequences of trust in science. For example, his research showed that scientific quality control (such as peer-review or successful replication studies) fosters public trust in science. His work further demonstrated that trust in science, in turn, is a central predictor of various beneficial behaviours, such as protective behaviour during pandemics. Tobias recently completed his doctoral degree at the Social Cognition Center Cologne (University of Cologne) and is now a postdoctoral researcher in the Research Group on Health and Risk Communication at the Institute of General Practice and Family Medicine (University Hospital Bonn).