[LMU-OSC News] Newsletter December 2023

LMU Open Science Center News lmu-osc at lists.lrz.de
Tue Dec 12 08:32:32 CET 2023

[https://d15k2d11r6t6rl.cloudfront.net/public/users/Integrators/BeeProAgency/795112_778914/lmu-osc_logo_large-xaV.jpg]

1. news from the Open Science Center

Impact report

We compiled an impact report from 2017-2023 which we are excited to share with you here: https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.10285395

It describes all our activities (training, community building, meta-research, consultations, and liaison with stakeholders), our incomes and expenditures, and our future strategies. We believe this report attests of the Center's success!

Below are some statistics on training offers since May 2022 when the coordinator role started, as well as on community building and meta- research activities since the OSC’s foundation in 2017.

[https://c56553a7c6.imgdist.com/public/users/Integrators/BeeProAgency/795112_778914/Statistics.png]

Grant applications

LMU Central study grant ✓

We applied to fund the development of self-paced tutorials on open research that can be facilitated at large scale in a hybrid format or “Open science Hybrid-Facilitated Self-paced Tutorials (Open-HyFaST)”. As a result we were granted 141.490 € to cover the coordinator’s position in 2025 as well as training development. 🎉

Freiraum ⊗

We applied with the concept of Open science Hybrid-Facilitated Self-paced Tutorials (Open-HyFaST) for 150.330 € which was declined in the second round of application.

Volkswagen Foundation Pioneer Project 2023 ✓

We applied for the call “Pioneer Projects - Impetus for the German Research System” with a project entitled “From local to systemic implementation: Embedding open research in institutional practices” composed of two work packages: (i) a “switch-to-open” program, an intervention designed to help individual research groups transition from closed to open workflows, (ii) a complementary train-the-trainer program focusing on empowering participants to become instructors of open research practices to increase uptake within their disciplines. We were granted 550.000 € to cover the current coordinator position for 2026, a second coordinator position from 2024 to 2026, and other project costs. 🎉🎉

Formation of an advisory board

We are in the process of inviting key internal and external advisors to be part of our advisory board so we can benefit from their feedback and experience. The following invitees already accepted to become our advisors:

  *   Prof. Dr. Stephan Hartmann (Dean of the Faculty of Philosophy, LMU  Munich)
  *   Dr. Bernhard Goodwin (Executive Director of the Munich Science Communication Lab, LMU Munich)
  *   Dr. Tanita Casci (Research Strategy & Policy Unit Director, University of Oxford)
  *   Prof. Dr. Ulrich Dirnagl (Founding Director of the QUEST Center for Responsible Research, Berlin Institute of Health)

Carpentry Institutional membership

The Carpentries<https://carpentries.org/index.html> is a program focusing on teaching foundational coding and data science skills to researchers. With funding from the Munich Center for Machine Learning, the OSC and MCML established a membership with the Carpentries. Twenty-seven researchers from LMU and TUM applied to follow the Carpentries’ train-the-trainer programme, and 15 applicants with great enthusiasm and skills were selected to be trained in 2024. They will deliver workshops open to all before the end of 2025.

Didactics of the hybrid summer school 2023

Malika Ihle, our coordinator, provides a glimpse behind the scenes of the LMU Open Research Hybrid Summer School 2023 in an interview for the ZWB Open Science Magazine. How was the programme's content decided? What didactic strategies were used to suit the hybrid format? Read our coordinator’s advice for organizers of future such events:

  *   https://open-science-future.zbw.eu/en/didactics-meets-openness/
  *   https://open-science-future.zbw.eu/didaktik-trifft-offenheit/ (translated)

Hacky Hour

Starting in January, on the last Monday of the month, 16:30-18:00, at  Wikipedia Munich, Angertorstraße 3, we will hold themed social sessions to talk about code, research tools, and open science. If you have a ralted problem: bring it along to work on it and get help or pointers!

2. Upcoming events: register now!

  *   Reproducibilitea journal club<https://www.osc.uni-muenchen.de/members/reproducibilitea/index.html>: The Power of Preregistration<https://www.osc.uni-muenchen.de/news/journal_club_soprereg231/index.html>,  Dec 15, 14:30-16:00, hybrid, Leopoldstr 13 and Zoom. No registration needed, mailing list to get notified: https://lists.lrz.de/mailman/listinfo/reproducibilitea

  *   Workshop: How to review from an Open Science perspective, Jan 8, 15:00-16:00, hybrid, Leopoldstr 13 and Zoom, by Prof. Dr. Felix Schoenbrodt. More info and registration: https://www.pretix.osc.lmu.de/lmu-osc/peer-review/

  *   Reproducibilitea journal club<https://www.osc.uni-muenchen.de/members/reproducibilitea/index.html>: The Replication Crisis' Positive Impact on Research<https://www.osc.uni-muenchen.de/news/journal_club_wiimpact2312/index.html>,  Jan 12,  14:30-16:00, hybrid, Leopoldstr 13 and Zoom. No registration needed, mailing list to get notified: https://lists.lrz.de/mailman/listinfo/reproducibilitea

  *   Workshop: Version control with Git and GitHub within RStudio, Jan 15, 13:30-16:30, hybrid, Leopoldstr 13 and Zoom, by Dr. Malika Ihle, Felix Henninger, Pat Callahan, Alp Aksu. More info and registration: https://www.pretix.osc.lmu.de/lmu-osc/version-control/

  *   Hacky hour<https://www.osc.uni-muenchen.de/members/hackyhour/index.html>: Code readability<https://www.osc.uni-muenchen.de/news/hackyhour_1/index.html>, Jan 29,  16:30-18:00, in person at Wikipedia Munich, Angertorstraße 3. No registration needed, mailing list to get notified: https://lists.lrz.de/mailman/listinfo/hackyhour

  *   Workshop: From stories to models - (how) can we formalize "narrative theories"? Feb 23, 13:00-17:00, hybrid, Leopoldstr 13 and Zoom, by Prof. Dr. Daniel Leising from Technische Universität Dresden. More info and registration: https://www.pretix.osc.lmu.de/lmu-osc/formalise-theory/

  *   Hacky hour<https://www.osc.uni-muenchen.de/members/hackyhour/index.html>: Version control<https://www.osc.uni-muenchen.de/news/hackyhour_2/index.html>, Feb 26,  16:30-18:00, in person at Wikipedia Munich, Angertorstraße 3. No registration needed, mailing list to get notified: https://lists.lrz.de/mailman/listinfo/hackyhour

  *   Workshop: Reproducible manuscripts with Quarto, March 6, hybrid, Leopoldstr 13 and Zoom, by Dr. Florian Pargent and Floriant Kohrt. More information and registration: https://www.pretix.osc.lmu.de/lmu-osc/quarto/

  *   Lecture: Increasing transparency through preregistration and/or multiverse analyses, March 14, 16:00-17:00, hybrid, Leopoldstr 13 and Zoom, by Prof. Dr. Andrea Hildebrand from Carl von Ossietzky Universität Oldenburg. More information and registration: https://www.pretix.osc.lmu.de/lmu-osc/multiverse-L/

  *   Workshop: Making the black box transparent: Multiverse analysis and visualizations in R, March 15, 9:00-12:00, by Prof. Dr. Andrea Hildebrand and Dr. Cassie Short from Carl von Ossietzky Universität Oldenburg. More information and registration: https://www.pretix.osc.lmu.de/lmu-osc/multiverse-W/

  *   Hacky hour<https://www.osc.uni-muenchen.de/members/hackyhour/index.html>: Reproducible manuscripts<https://www.osc.uni-muenchen.de/news/hackyhour_3/index.html>, March 25, 16:30-18:00, in person at Wikipedia Munich, Angertorstraße 3. No registration needed, mailing list to get notified: https://lists.lrz.de/mailman/listinfo/hackyhour

3. Book raffle

Thanks for reading our newsletter! To show our gratitude, we would like to offer you a chance to win one of three books. Answer one question before 04.01.2024 to enter the raffle! (LMU members based in Munich only) https://tellmi.psy.lmu.de/formr/book-raffle

Books to win:

- Science Fictions: Exposing Fraud, Bias, Negligence and Hype in Science by Stuart Ritchie

- Invisible Women: Exposing Data Bias in a World Designed for Men by Caroline Criado Perez

- Calling Bullshit: The Art of Skepticism in a Data-Driven World by Carl T. Bergstrom and Jevin D. West

4. Welcome to our new members!

The Open Science Center now counts 96 individual members. Please consult the list of all our members<https://www.osc.uni-muenchen.de/members/individual_members/index.html> to find potential collaborators!

 We are happy to introduce our latest members to you:

[https://c56553a7c6.imgdist.com/public/users/Integrators/BeeProAgency/795112_778914/dichgans_pic.jpeg]

Prof. Dr. Martin Dichgans<https://www.osc.uni-muenchen.de/members/individual_members/lmu-members/dichgans/index.html>

Institute for Stroke and Dementia Research

[https://c56553a7c6.imgdist.com/public/users/Integrators/BeeProAgency/795112_778914/ebenbeck_picture.jpeg]

Dr. Nikola Ebenbeck<https://www.osc.uni-muenchen.de/members/individual_members/lmu-members/ebenbeck/index.html>

Special education

[https://c56553a7c6.imgdist.com/public/users/Integrators/BeeProAgency/795112_778914/csm_markus_gebhardt_bf02046910.jpeg]

Prof. Dr. Markus Gebhardt<https://www.osc.uni-muenchen.de/members/individual_members/lmu-members/gebhardt/index.html>

Education Science, Special Education

[https://c56553a7c6.imgdist.com/public/users/Integrators/BeeProAgency/795112_778914/angelika_stafan_picture.jpeg]

Dr. Angelika Stefan<https://www.osc.uni-muenchen.de/members/individual_members/lmu-members/stefan/index.html>

Psychology

[https://c56553a7c6.imgdist.com/public/users/Integrators/BeeProAgency/795112_778914/ocs_pic.jpg]

Dr. Justin Sulik<https://www.osc.uni-muenchen.de/members/individual_members/lmu-members/sulik/index.html>

Psychology

[https://c56553a7c6.imgdist.com/public/users/Integrators/BeeProAgency/795112_778914/twardawski_pic.jpeg]

Dr. Mathias Twardawski<https://www.osc.uni-muenchen.de/members/individual_members/lmu-members/twardawski/index.html>

Psychology

Welcome to our new OSC Fellows!

Additionally, the count of OSC Fellows continues to rise. We acknowledge and value their voluntary work in leading grassroots initiatives as early career researchers. We will continue to share further leadership development opportunities with them. Thanks for your contributions and welcome!

[https://c56553a7c6.imgdist.com/public/users/Integrators/BeeProAgency/795112_778914/image002-1.jpg]

Pat Callahan<https://www.osc.uni-muenchen.de/members/individual_members/fellows/callahan/index.html>

Institute for Medical Information Processing, Biometry and Epidemiology

Co-instructor of computing skills workshops

[https://c56553a7c6.imgdist.com/public/users/Integrators/BeeProAgency/795112_778914/kraemer_pic.jpeg]

Daniel Krähmer<https://www.osc.uni-muenchen.de/members/individual_members/fellows/kraehmer/index.html>

Sociology

Meta-researcher on computational reproducibility

[https://c56553a7c6.imgdist.com/public/users/Integrators/BeeProAgency/795112_778914/image002-1.jpg]

Julian Lange<https://www.osc.uni-muenchen.de/members/individual_members/fellows/lange/index.html>

Institute for Medical Information Processing, Biometry and Epidemiology

Co-organizer of Reproducibilitea Journal Club

[https://c56553a7c6.imgdist.com/public/users/Integrators/BeeProAgency/795112_778914/schumacher_pic.jpeg]

Caspar Schuhmacher<https://www.osc.uni-muenchen.de/members/individual_members/fellows/schumacher/index.html>

Psychology

Co-organizer of RPsyche

[https://c56553a7c6.imgdist.com/public/users/Integrators/BeeProAgency/795112_778914/martin_wiehr_pic.jpg]

Martin Wiehr<https://www.osc.uni-muenchen.de/members/individual_members/fellows/wiehr/index.html>

Psychology

Co-organizer of RPsyche

5. Stay in touch!

Visit our website at: www.osc.lmu.de<https://www.osc.uni-muenchen.de/index.html> and don't miss any upcoming events by following us on Bluesky<https://bsky.app/profile/lmu-osc.bsky.social>, LinkedIn<https://www.linkedin.com/company/lmu-open-science-center/>, Mastodon<https://mastodon.social/@lmu_osc@scicomm.xyz> and Twitter<https://twitter.com/lmu_osc>. We have invite links to share for Bluesky!

By joining the LMU Open Science chat <https://chat.portal.lmu.de/invite/jiJdrs> on LMU Rocket Chat<https://www.portal.uni-muenchen.de/benutzerkonto/#!/rocket-chat> you'll have the opportunity to interact with other researchers and members of the OSC.

Do you have any suggestions or contributions for the next newsletter? Or perhaps you'd like to publish your news on our website, or request a tweet/re-tweet from our account? Email us at malika.ihle at lmu.de.<mailto:malika.ihle at lmu.de>

[Designed with BEE]<https://www.designedwithbee.com/?utm_source=editor&utm_medium=bee_pro&utm_campaign=free_footer_link>

Designed with BEE<https://www.designedwithbee.com/?utm_source=editor&utm_medium=bee_pro&utm_campaign=free_footer_link>