[LMU-OSC News] 5-day open science hybrid summer school on 11.-15. September 2023

LMU Open Science Center News lmu-osc at lists.lrz.de
Tue May 9 09:12:39 CEST 2023

Dear open science enthusiasts

The LMU Open Science Center is organising a 5-day open science hybrid summer school<https://malikaihle.github.io/OSC-Open-Research-Summer-School-2023/> on 11.-15. September 2023 to allow early-career researchers of any scientific discipline to gain more trust in the research that they do, and make it as credible as it can be in the eyes of their peers, the public, and funding agencies.

The summer school will consist of public lectures and workshops for selected applicants. To attend the whole school, i.e. both public lectures and workshops for selected applicants, in person or online, you must apply before 17 July 2023, 12:00 noon. At equal application score, we will prioritize members of the LMU. The in-person part of the school will take place in the Fachbibliothek Philologicum, Ludwigstraße 25, 80539 Munich. The online part will be on Zoom. Anyone can register at any time before the end of the summer school to attend one, multiple, or all public lectures online.

Apply to attend the whole summer school (in-person or online): https://tellmi.psy.lmu.de/formr/OSC-Summer-School-2023
Join one or several of the public lectures (online): https://www.pretix.osc.lmu.de/lmu-osc/lectures/

By joining, you will learn how to:

  *   plan your statistical plans in advance of collecting data to prevent biases in analyses, with the help of preregistration and data simulation;
  *   create computationally reproducible workflows so you can be more efficient and spot mistakes in data wrangling or analyses, through programming, creating dynamic reports, and version controlling scripts;
  *   share data, materials, codes, and articles appropriately (using Findable, Accessible, Interoperable, Reusable principles, sensible data anonymisation techniques, adequate repositories and licenses) for your research to have more impact, by allowing others to build upon or replicate your work;
  *   follow guidelines to report results adequately and conduct systematic reviews

Some keynote presenters:

  *   Prof Uli Dirnagl, Director of the QUEST Center for Responsible Research
  *   Prof Stephan Hartmann, Co-Director of the Munich Center for Mathematical Philosophy
  *   Dr Tony Ross-Hellauer, Open and Reproducible Research Group Leader
  *   Prof Richard McElreath, Department Director at the MPI for Evolutionary Anthropology
  *   Dr Joachim Wuttke, Scientific Computing Group Leader
  *   Dr Tim Errington, Senior Director of Research at the Center for Open Science
  *   Dr Verena Heise, Open Science Freelancer
  *   Valérie Labonté, Researcher in Evidence in Medicine
  *   Dr Raphael Ritz, Head of Data Division at the Max Planck Computing and Data Facility
  *   Prof Denis Kenji Kipker, Professor for IT Security Law
  *   Sofija Vojvodic, Researcher at the Berlin Institute of Health
  *   Prof Felix Schönbrodt, Director of the LMU Open Science Center

...and many more instructors!

You can find the programme, more information on the lectures, workshops, application and registration process on the school website:

https://malikaihle.github.io/OSC-Open-Research-Summer-School-2023/

This event is supported by the Fund for the Promotion of Teaching and the University Library of LMU Munich.

Best wishes

Dr Malika Ihle, LMU Open Science Center coordinator

As an LMU affiliate, you can also contribute to our activities by becoming a member<https://www.osc.uni-muenchen.de/members/join/index.html>. Visit our website<https://www.osc.uni-muenchen.de/index.html> for more information!

--
Dr. Malika Ihle (she/her) (pronounciation<https://namedrop.io/malikaihle>)
LMU Open Science Center Coordinator

www.osc.lmu.de<http://www.osc.lmu.de/> | @lmu_osc<https://twitter.com/lmu_osc> |@lmu_osc at scicomm.xyz<https://scicomm.xyz/web/@lmu_osc>