[LMU-OSC News] Invitation to “NFDI at LMU” & Talk „The Future of Publications and Scientific Exchange in the Age of AI” (07.11.2023)

LMU Open Science Center News lmu-osc at lists.lrz.de
Thu Oct 26 12:24:08 CEST 2023

Dear all,
The National Research Data Infrastructure (NFDI) will change the landscape of Research Data Management (RDM) in the next ten years.
With the final funding decisions made in March 2023, a total of 26 consortia (+ one union of consortia – Base4NFDI) aim to address the specific RDM needs of almost (every) research field. More than half of the consortia have participants affiliated with LMU.
To raise awareness and to showcase the activities of the NFDI, we invite you to our hybrid “NFDI at LMU” meeting on November 7th . The event will introduce the topic Open Research Data and the corresponding LMU activities – with input by the Open Science Center, Research Funding (Unit VIII.3) and the University Library. The introduction is followed by a talk by Prof. Albrecht Schmidt (Human-Centered Ubiquitous Media @ LMU Munich/NFDIxCS) on the “Future of Publications and Scientific Exchange in the Age of AI”.
The talks are followed by a working session to bring together the participants of NFDI consortia.
The event is open for all interested students, researchers and staff at LMU.
Location: Fachbibliothek Philologicum, Veranstaltungsraum, Ludwigstraße 25, 80539 München or via Zoom
Program:
14:00-15:15 Open talks on RDM and NFDI activities [hybrid format, open to the public -> For virtual participation please register here: https://lmu-munich.zoom-x.de/meeting/register/u5codeCopjoiHtRS3Lw7C4drmnuWmLBvHGCp]

  *   Basics of Open Data and Research Data Management
     *   Introduction to Open Research Data (Prof. Dr. Felix Schönbrodt, LMU Open Science Center)
     *   Overview of NFDI and related activities at LMU (Dr. Martin Spenger, University Library LMU)
     *   RDM Resources at LMU and Relevance for Research Funding (Dr. Florian Schreck, LMU Research Funding (Unit VIII.3))
  *   Talk: The Future of Publications and Scientific Exchange in the Age of AI (Prof. Dr. Albrecht Schmidt, Human-Centered Ubiquitous Media @ LMU Munich/NFDIxCS)
     *   Abstract: “Scientific insights are largely shared through publications. Ideas, methods, and results are published in research papers, which are the core of scientific exchange. Quality control through peer review is closely linked to scientific publications, as is the reputation of researchers. But publications do not tell the whole story of the research that has been conducted. Will (generative) AI fundamentally change how we facilitate scientific exchange? Are research papers still an appropriate way to share research approaches and findings? In this talk, we discuss alternatives for capturing insights and sharing knowledge.”

15:15-15:30 Break
15:30-16:30 Update and Working session for NFDI members at LMU [hybrid format, primarily open to NFDI participants -> For virtual participation please register here: https://lmu-munich.zoom-x.de/meeting/register/u5cudOmqqD0qG93bzkHzi6Tguif_ye1Q1SqR]
Please register for the talks and the working session separately.
If you have any questions in advance, please contact us here: rdm at ub.uni-muenchen.de<mailto:rdm at ub.uni-muenchen.de>
We hope to see many of you on November 7th either in person or online.

Kind regards,
Dr. Martin Spenger for RDM Information @ University Library LMU