Craig Callender this Friday, 4 pm

Mathias Frisch mfrisch at umd.edu
Mon Dec 10 09:09:04 CET 2012

Colloquiums Talk:

Falling Through Time

Prof.  Craig Callender, UC San Diego.

When:  Fri, December 14, 4pm – 6pm
Where:  Ludwigstr. 31 // 2 room 225

Abstract:
The idea that time flows is firmly entrenched in the manifest conception of time. Such is the strength of this feeling that many distinguished thinkers assume that positing a basic physical or metaphysical flow is the only action fully respecting it. I'll argue that this is a mistake. The cosmologist Gold emphasized that we need to explain the flow, asserting that “there can be a self-consistent set of rules that would give a beast this kind of phoney picture of time." While I don't think flow need be illusory -- instead it could be like color -- I want to take up this interdisciplinary explanatory project. Appealing to the hard facts of life in a relativistic world, our environments, and our psychology, I develop a theory of why "beasts" like us feel like we're falling through time.

Mathias Frisch
Associate Professor of Philosophy
University of Maryland, College Park
z. Zt.  Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München