talk at the MCMP Thursday 6th December

Karim Thebault karim.thebault at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 15:18:54 CET 2012

Thursday December 6th
Ludwigstr. 31 <http://goo.gl/maps/8Q2IJ> /II room 225

Time: 4 to 6 p.m.                          Talk: Giovanni Valente
(Pittsburgh)

 *Local Disentanglement in Relativistic Quantum Field Theory*

* *

ABSTRACT

In their paper on "Entanglement and Open Systems in Algebraic Quantum Field
Theory", Clifton and Halvorson (2001) raised the question whether
entanglement between quantum systems can be destroyed by means of local
operations and claimed that, contrary to non-relativistic quantum
mechanics, this can never be the case in relativistic quantum field theory.
In this talk I will argue that Clifton and Halvorson's no-go result applies
only to a special kind of local operations, and thereby I will reject their
conclusion. In fact, after providing sufficient conditions for local
disentanglement to be achieved, I will show that, if the split property
holds, there exists a class of local operations which disentangle all
states across any pair of spacelike separated quantum field systems.

----

Karim Thébault, MCMP<http://www.mcmp.philosophie.uni-muenchen.de/index.html>

philphysmunich is a subscription based electronic mailing list for the
announcement of events relating to the foundations and philosophy of
physics within Munich. In general, these will be talks, conferences,
workshops or public lectures. The intended users of the list include
physicists, philosophers and historians of physics. This list is open so
all members can post events.

philphysmunich at lists.lrz.de.