Talk by Paul Naeger at MCMP (Wed. 30th Jan.)

Karim Thebault karim.thebault at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 09:02:33 CET 2013

Speaker: Paul Naeger (Bremen)
Wednesday January 30th
Ludwigstr.31 /II room 225
Time: 4 to 6 pm

Title: The causal structure of EPR experiments

Abstract:

In this talk we examine possible causal structures of experiments with
entangled quantum objects. We try to surpass previous discussions in that
(i) we proceed from a recent stronger version of Bell's theorem (Näger
2012, preprint) and (ii) use the rigorous methods of causal graph theory.
Our result will be that EPR correlations come about exclusively by common
causes. Among the common causes there must be the quantum state and at
least one of the measurement settings. Particularly, we provide an argument
that there is no direct causal relation between the measurement outcomes.
This refutes the standard view that EPR correlations arise due to an
influence from one outcome to the other ("outcome dependence"). Our result
also improves on conclusions from information theoretic considerations
(Maudlin 1994; Pawlowski 2010), which wrongly allow for such direct
connections between the outcomes.