Talk by James Owen Weatherall at MCMP (Fri. 19. July)

Dardashti, Radin Radin.Dardashti at lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Sat Jul 13 08:25:59 CEST 2013

Speaker: James Owen Weatherall (UC Irvine)
Friday 19th July 2013
Ludwigstr.31 Room E021
Time: 6 to 8 pm

Title: Inertial Motion, Explanation, and the Foundations of Classical
Space-time Theories.

Abstract:
There is an influential view in physics and philosophy of physics,
originating with Einstein and Eddington, that holds that general
relativity is distinctive in the history of physics  because it can be
used to "explain" inertial, or unforced, motion.  In this talk, I will
describe how a reformulation of Newtonian gravitation may be used to
provide insight into claims concerning the (allegedly) distinctive
explanatory resources of relativity theory.  I will then argue that
Newtonian gravitation can be understood to explain inertial motion in
much the same way as general relativity.  However, a careful comparative
study of the status of inertial motion in the two theories reveals that
neither explanation is as clean or straightforward as adherents to the
view noted above believe.  I will conclude by presenting a view about
the interdependencies of the central principles of physical theories
that I will argue provides some insight into a sense in which inertial
motion is explained in both of these theories.