Reading Group Philosophy of Physics

Erik Curiel erik at strangebeautiful.com
Mon Oct 21 08:55:30 CEST 2013

Dear y'all,

I will be responsible for leading the reading group on black holes,
thermodynamics and information.  At the first session, there will be no
assigned reading, but I do plan to give an introductory, informal
presentation of background material I consider necessary for really
getting into the material we will be covering this term.  I plan to
cover the basics of the geometry of Kerr black holes with an emphasis on
the idea of a Killing horizon (since that is the essential geometrical
structure that leads to Hawking radiation).  If you want to do some
preparatory reading, I recommend Hawking and Ellis *The Large Scale
Structure of Space-Time* ch.9, or Wald *General Relativity* ch. 13.  If
time permits, I will also cover material that can be found in Wald
*Quantum Field Theory in Curved Spacetime and Black Hole Thermodynamics*
chs. 4-5.

I plan to send out later today a list of papers I propose we read this
term.  It would be useful if you would look over the list to see what
most interests you, so we can settle on a schedule of readings and
volunteers to lead discussion for each meeting.

Hope to see you there.

Yours,
Erik

--
Erik Curiel

Postdoctoral Fellow
Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München
Munich Center for Mathematical Philosophy
Lehrstuhl für Wissenschaftstheorie
Fakultät für Philosophie, Wissenschaftstheorie und Religionswissenschaft
Ludwigsstrasse 31
80539 München, Deutschland

http://strangebeautiful.com