Next Philosophy of Physics Reading Group Meeting: 16 Dec.

Fletcher, Samuel Samuel.Fletcher at lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Wed Dec 3 16:13:01 CET 2014

Dear Colleagues,

Our next meeting will run from 14:15-15:45 on the date indicated in E341
of the main university building.  Radin Dardashti will lead discussion
on the topic of "Modality and Classical Physics," the reading for which
will be the following:

1.	J. Butterfield. "David Lewis Meets Hamilton and Jacobi," Philosophy
of Science 71, 2004, 1095-1106.
2.	J. Butterfield. "Some Aspects of Modality in Analytical Mechanics,"
in Formale Teleologie und Kausalitat in der Physik, 2004, eds. P.
Weingartner and M. Stoeltzner, Mentis, 160-198.  (To download, see
http://arxiv.org/abs/physics/0210081.)

These correspond to papers 10.1 and 10.2 on the "Possible Topics"
handout.  Please contact me if you have trouble downloading copies of
these articles.  I should mention that Jeremy says that the first paper
is a precis of the first part of the second paper, so the main focus
should be on the second.

Also, as a reminder, for our two January meetings we will discuss topic
7, "The Principle of Least Action and Dispositions," with discussion led
by Karim and Michael S.

Best wishes,
~Sam