Foundations of QM Seminar (Feb. 3) (DIFFERENT ROOM: 028)

Dardashti, Radin Radin.Dardashti at lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Fri Jan 31 18:23:06 CET 2014

Dear all,

our "Foundations of Quantum Mechanics" seminar continues Monday with
Michael Cuffaro "On the Significance of the Gottesman-Knill Theorem".

Abstract:
According to the Gottesman-Knill theorem, quantum algorithms utilising
operations chosen from a particular restricted set are efficiently
simulable classically. Since some of these algorithms involve entangled
states, it is commonly concluded that entanglement is not sufficient to
enable quantum computers to outperform classical computers. It is argued
in this paper, however, that what the Gottesman-Knill theorem shows us
is only that if we limit ourselves to the Gottesman-Knill operations, we
will not have used the entanglement with which we have been provided to
its full potential, for all of the Gottesman-Knill operations are such
that their associated statistics (even when they involve entangled
states) are reproducible in a local hidden variables theory. It is
further argued that considering the Gottesman- Knill theorem is
illuminating, not only for our understanding of quantum computation, but
also for our understanding of what we take to be a plausible local
hidden variables theory, as well as for our understanding of the
relationship between all-or-nothing inequalities such as GHZ, and
statistical inequalities such as CHSH.

Papers can be found in the dropbox link below. The most relevant is
Mike's paper:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fgl2j08e51o8wcw/tVbMrg8sc5

Location: Ludwigstr.31, ROOM 028.
Time: Monday Feb. 3, 18:00 (s.t.; i.e. not 18:15)

Best wishes,
Radin