Talk by Tom Pashby at MCMP (May 28)

Dardashti, Radin Radin.Dardashti at lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Sun May 25 17:12:34 CEST 2014

Speaker: Tom Pashby (Pittsburgh)
Wednesday 28th May 2014
Location: Ludwigstr. 31 room 021
Time: 16:15 - 17:45

Title:  Against Dogma: Locality, Conditionalisation, and Collapse in
Relativistic Quantum Mechanics

Abstract:
I argue here against the widespread view (due to David Malament) that
the non-commutativity of non-instantaneous localisation projections
implies the existence of act-outcome correlations in relativistic QM.
There are two facets to my argument: first, I claim that the
interpretation of collapse as a process brought about by the
experimenter is mistaken; second, I contend that a fully relativistic
model should not condition on the occurrence of spacelike separated
instantaneous events.  This leaves the door open to define a
relativistically invariant (but non-commuting) system of localization,
which I interpret in terms of conditional probabilities for the
occurrence of events.  In accord with Tumulka (2009), I conclude that
non-local correlations of events in a relativistic quantum theory need
not imply the sort of action at a distance that worries Malament (1996).