Talk by Kleber at TUM (Mon. 14 Dec.)

Dardashti, Radin Radin.Dardashti at lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Thu Dec 10 15:25:00 CET 2015

Speaker: Manfred Kleber (TUM München)
Date: Mon., Dec. 14
Location: Lecture hall II, Physics Department, Garching
(https://www.ph.tum.de/about/visit/roomfinder/?room=5101.EG.502)
Time: 17.15

Title: The story of Heisenberg's quantum mechanics”

Abstract:
Ninety years ago the birth of quantum mechanics took place when Werner
Heisenberg submitted his paper on Quantum-theoretical reinterpretation
of
kinematic and mechanical relations (Über quantentheoretische Umdeutung
kinematischer und
mechanischer Beziehungen) to Zeitschrift für Physik. [Z. Phys., 33,
879-893 (1925)].
We will show how important the historical context was for an
understanding of his work
and we will follow Heisenberg on the narrow path that took him from the
unsuccessful old
quantum mechanics to the light of the new quantum mechanics. We then
discuss Heisenberg’s
research in the years following his scienti
c breakthrough.