Talks at the MCMP and the MPQ (this week)

Dardashti, Radin Radin.Dardashti at lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Tue Jan 13 06:25:22 CET 2015

Speaker: Lucas Clemente
Date: Wed., January 14
Location: Herbert Walther lecture room, MPQ Garching
Time: 11:30 - 13:00

Title: Macrorealism

Abstract:
Macrorealism — the world view that physical properties of
macroscopic objects exist independent of measurements and are
not influenced by them — has recently been a focus of both, theoretical
and experimental work in quantum physics. As experiments get closer to
showing quantum superpositions of macroscopically distinct states, it
becomes interesting to look at conditions for macrorealism beyond the
well-known Leggett-Garg inequalitites. In this talk I will discuss a
condition called no-signaling in time, that, in the right combination,
can serve not only as a necessary, but also as a sufficient condition.
We will show how to apply these conditions to physical experiments, and
construct a definition for the classicality of quantum measurements and
Hamiltonians. The talk's slides can be found at
https://clemente.io/macrorealism.

Speaker: Gia Dvali