Fwd: [MCMP] Causal Reasoning in Physics

Karim Thébault karim.thebault at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 20:26:57 CET 2015

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Mathias F Frisch <mfrisch at umd.edu>
Date: 14 January 2015 at 19:07
Subject: [MCMP] Causal Reasoning in Physics
To: "mcmp-local at googlegroups.com" <mcmp-local at googlegroups.com>

 Dear All,

 I will be running a Blockseminar centered on themes from my book “Causal
Reasoning in Physics” from Feb. 2nd to 6th, 9-15h c.t  (with an hour long
lunch break from 11:30-12:30).
Everyone who is interested to sit in on all or just part of the seminar is
more than welcome!
We will be meeting in Professor Huber Pl. 2 (V) Lehrturm V005.
Also, on Feb 6 in the afternoon there will be a symposium on the book:
http://www.mcmp.philosophie.uni-muenchen.de/events/workshops/container/symposium_frisch/index.html

 I put all the reading materials for the seminar in a dropbox folder:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/21yh74fd12uvrcz/AACXjaGtlvncL5ubdC5szEUla?dl=0

There you can also find the syllabus, which I am also pasting in below.

 Best wishes,
Mathias

 *Blockseminar on Causal Reasoning in Physics*

The plan for the seminar is to read most of my recent book * Causal
Reasoning in Physics *(CUP 2014), abbreviated as CRP below, together with
secondary readings.

All reading materials, including the page proofs for my book manuscript are
in a dropbox folder:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/21yh74fd12uvrcz/AACXjaGtlvncL5ubdC5szEUla?dl=0

*Monday*:  Secondary reading: Russell "On the Notion of Cause"

AM:     CRP: Introduction (ch.1)

PM:     Survey of philosophical theories of causation

*Tuesday*:  Secondary readings: Woodward, "Physics and the Human Face of
Causation"; Field, "Causation in a Physical World"

AM:     CRP: The human face of causation (ch.3)

PM:     CRP: Causation and Intervention (ch. 4)

*Wednesday*:  Secondary readings: Norton "Causation as Folk Science";
Norton, "Is there an independent principle of causality in physics?";
Smith, "Causation in Classical Mechanics"

AM:     CRP: temporal asymmetry of causation (ch. 5)

PM:     CRP: linear response theory (ch. 6)

*Thursday*:  Secondary readings: Earman "Sharpening the Electromagnetic
Arrow of Time"; Loewer, "Counterfactuals and the Second Law"; Price and
Weslake

AM:     CRP: Radiation asymmetry

PM:     CRP: Entropy accounts of causation

*Friday*:  Secondary reading: Maudlin, "On the Passing of Time"

AM:     CRP: Conclusion

PM:     Symposium on *Causal Reasoning in Physics* (13h - 16:30h)

  *********
Mathias Frisch
Professor of Philosophy
Director of Graduate Studies