Talks by Peter Pickl and Robert Rynasiewicz at the MCMP (Wed. 10th)

Dardashti, Radin Radin.Dardashti at lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Mon Jun 8 06:46:43 CEST 2015

Speaker: Peter Pickl (LMU)
Date: Wed., June 10
Location: Ludwigstr. 31, ground floor, room 021
Time: 16:15 -⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠ 17:45

Title: Explaining Macroscopic Systems from Microscopic Principles

Abstract:
The revolutionary idea of the late 19th century that the physics of
gases can be explained by the dynamics of small, point-like particles
had a great influence on physics as well as mathematics and philosophy.
This idea has changed our understanding of the physics of macroscopic
systems significantly as well as the way we see our universe as a whole.
The question of how the connection between the microscopic and the
macroscopic world can be explained also arises in other fields, for
example the life sciences. Answering this question might have a similar
impact on the research in these fields.
In the talk I will present recent techniques and results of our research
group in deriving macroscopic evolution equations from microscopic
principles for certain classical, quantum mechanical and biological
systems.

Speaker: Robert Rynasiewicz (Johns Hopkins)