Talks by Evans and Fraser at MCMP (25. and 26. Nov)

Dardashti, Radin Radin.Dardashti at lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Sun Nov 22 09:33:41 CET 2015

Speaker: Peter Evans (University of Queensland)
Date: Wed., Nov 25
Location: Ludwigstraße 31, ground floor, Room E21
Time: 16:15 -⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠ 17:45

Title: Quantum causal models, faithfulness and retrocausality

Abstract:
Wood and Spekkens (2015) argue that any causal model explaining the EPRB
correlations and satisfying no-signalling must also violate the
assumption that the model faithfully reproduces the statistical
dependences and independences---a so-called “fine-tuning” of the causal
parameters; this includes, in particular, retrocausal explanations of
the EPRB correlations. I consider this analysis with a view to
enumerating the possible responses an advocate of retrocausal
explanations might propose. I focus on the response of Näger (2015), who
argues that the central ideas of causal explanations can be saved if one
accepts the possibility of a stable fine-tuning of the causal
parameters. I argue that, in light of this view, a violation of
faithfulness does not necessarily rule out retrocausal explanations of
the EPRB correlations.

Speaker: James Fraser (University of Leeds)