Talk by Farr at MCMP (Wed. 20th)

Dardashti, Radin Radin.Dardashti at lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Mon Jan 18 13:31:30 CET 2016

Speaker: Matt Farr (University of Queensland)
Date: Wed., Jan. 20
Location: Ludwigstr. 31, ground floor, room 021
Time: 16:15 -⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠ 17:45

Title: Causation and Time Reversal

Abstract:
What would it be for a process to happen ‘backwards’ in time? Would such
a process involve different causal relations? On a standard
interpretation of time reversal, time reversal symmetric theories
radically underdetermine causal relations between events. This has led
many to imply that time reversal symmetry motivates eliminativism about
causation. This paper assesses the compatibility of time reversal
symmetry with causation by asking whether causal relations ought to
invert under the action of time reversal or remain invariant. I show
that in neither case is there an incompatibility between time reversal
symmetry and causation and hence time reversal symmetric theories pose
no special problem for causality. I argue for a ‘non-causal’
interpretation of time reversal, whereby time reversal does not invert
causal relations, and assess the consequences of this interpretation for
the epistemology and metaphysics of causation.