Workshop: Grid and Cloud Computing for Computational (Bio-)Statistics

LRZ aktuell publish at lrz.de
Do Mär 10 09:29:08 CET 2011

The Rost Lab (TU Munich) and the Working Group "Statistical Computing"
 (IBS-DR, GMDS) are jointly organizing a workshop on

 "Grid and Cloud Computing for Computational (Bio-)Statistics"

 which will take place at March 23, 2011, in Munich.

 Grid and Cloud Computing are state-of-the-art technologies that promise
 access to a large amount of computing resources on demand and at
 reasonable cost. So far these technologies have not been embraced by
 (Bio-)Statistics to the extent they might deserve. But there are first
 best-practice implementations available, which highlight considerable
 benefits.

 This workshop will introduce (bio-)statisticians and bioinformaticians
 to Grid and Cloud Computing and demonstrate the usability and challenges
 with several real-life examples. The aim is to discuss requirements of
 (Bio-)Statistics for Grid and Cloud Computing, and to start cooperations
 for simplifying access to these new technologies. The nature of the
 workshop will be very informal, to provide enough room for discussion.
 We also welcome contributions in the form of talks, but would generally
 ask for a short notification if you plan to participate (e-mail to
 Markus Schmidberger, schmidberger at rostlab.org, until March 11, 2011).

 For more details see http://rostlab.org/cms/cloudstat2011/

 We are looking forward to see you in Munich.

 Markus Schmidberger, Manuel Eugster, Harald Binder and Matthias Schmid

 This information is also available on our web server
 http://www.lrz-muenchen.de/aktuell/ali3966/

 Ferdinand Jamitzky