Upd:All HPC Systems: Interruption of user operation / storage maintenance

LRZ aktuell publish at lrz.de
Mi Okt 26 12:22:54 CEST 2011

 Changes to this message: Update
Dear users of the HPC systems at LRZ,

 As part of its continuing efforts to provide ever increasing reliable
 and fast storage capacity to its HPC users, LRZ has installed new
 network attached storage devices which will be taken into user
 operation in early November. Changing over to this new storage area,
 which will comprise all HPC user's home directories, necessitates an
 interruption of operation on all HPC systems.

 For

   * all systems in the Linux Cluster
   * the supzero migration system

 user operation will be suspended on Friday, October 28 at 10:00 am. It
 is expected that most systems will go online again in the afternoon of
 November 2, 2010. The following exceptions should be noted:

   * HLRB-II was completely retired from user operation since it had
     reached the end of its lifetime.
   * the new MEGWare MPP cluster will undergo a prolonged maintenance
     because it is intended to move the system into a different computer
     room which can provide the advanced cooling technology for which
     the system has been designed in order to achieve optimal energy
     efficiency. Therefore, the MPP system will be unavailable between
     October 26, 10:00 am and November 11.

 Important Note: After the maintenance, the path name for your HOME
 directory will be changed to start with /home/hpc. I.e.,

   * supzero: /home/hlrb2/projectID/userID will be changed to /home/hpc/
     projectID/userID
   * Linux Cluster: /home/hlrb2/projectID/userID will be changed to /
     home/hpc/projectID/userID

 We will provide softlinks in the file system so that all your jobs and
 scripts should still work. However for the future and for the purpose
 of archiving we urge you to change these. A general advice is not to
 use absolute pathes for filenames but the HOME-variable.

 This information is also available on our web server
 http://www.lrz-muenchen.de/services/compute/aktuell/ali4127/

 Reinhold Bader