Lecture Virtual Reality in archaeology

LRZ aktuell publish at lrz.de
Di Sep 4 14:18:13 CEST 2012

Lecture at the LRZ:

 e-Heritage, Cyber Archaeology, and Cloud museum

 Katsushi Ikeuchi

 The University of Tokyo

 Mittwoch, 12.09.2012, 16:00   17:00 LRZ, Boltzmannstrasse 1, 85748
 Garching, Hoersaal (H.E.009)

 Abstract:

 We have been conducting the e-Heritage project, which converts assets
 that form our cultural heritage into digital forms, by using computer
 vision and computer graphics technologies. We hope to utilize such
 forms

  1. for preservation in digital form of our irreplaceable treasures for
     future generations,
  2. for planning and physical restoration, using digital forms as basic
     models from which we can manipulate data,
  3. for cyber archaeology, i.e., investigation of digitized data
     through computer analysis, and
  4. for education and promotion through multimedia contents based on
     the digital data.

 This talk briefly overviews our e-Heritage projects underway in Italy,
 Cambodia, and Japan. We will explain what hardware and software issues
 have arisen, how to overcome them by designing new sensors using recent
 computer vision technologies, as well as how to process these data
 using computer graphics technologies. We will also explain how to use
 such data for archaeological analysis, and review new findings.
 Finally, we will discuss a new way to display such digital data by
 using the mixed reality systems, i.e. head-mount displays on site,
 connected from cloud computers.

 Biography:

 Dr. Katsushi Ikeuchi is a Professor at the University of Tokyo. He
 received a Ph.D. degree in Information Engineering from the University
 of Tokyo in 1978. After working at the Massachusetts Institute of
 Technology s AI Lab for two years, Electrotechnical Lab, Japan for five
 years, and Carnegie Mellon University for ten years, he joined the
 university in 1996. His research interest spans computer vision,
 robotics, and computer graphics. He has received several awards,
 including the IEEE Marr Award, the IEEE RAS  most active distinguished
 lecturer  award and the IEEE-CS ICCV Significant Researcher Award as
 well as Shiju Houshou (the Medal of Honor with Purple ribbon) from the
 Emperor of Japan. He is a fellow of IEEE, IEICE, IPSJ, and RSJ.

 This information is also available on our web server
 http://www.lrz-muenchen.de/aktuell/ali4401/

 Peter Weinert