PRACE PATC Course: Node-Level Performance Engineering @ LRZ

Weinberg, Volker Volker.Weinberg at lrz.de
Fr Okt 13 15:43:49 CEST 2017

Dear HPC user,

We want to invite you to participate in our PRACE PATC course on Node-Level Performance Engineering on Thursday, Nov 30 - Friday, Dec 1, 2017, 9:00 - 17:00 at the Leibniz Supercomputing Centre, Germany. The course is free of charge as it is sponsored through the PATC program of the Partnership for Advanced Computing in Europe (PRACE).

The lectures will be given by Prof. Gerhard Wellein and Dr. Georg Hager from the Regional Computing Centre of Erlangen (RRZE). The course is an extended version of the very popular regular SC/ISC tutorials by RRZE.

This course teaches performance engineering approaches on the compute node level. "Performance engineering" as we define it is more than employing tools to identify hotspots and bottlenecks. It is about developing a thorough understanding of the interactions between software and hardware. This process must start at the core, socket, and node level, where the code gets executed that does the actual computational work. Once the architectural requirements of a code are understood and correlated with performance measurements, the potential benefit of optimizations can often be predicted. We introduce a "holistic" node-level performance engineering strategy, apply it to different algorithms from computational science, and also show how an awareness of the performance features of an application may lead to notable reductions in power consumption.

For more information and registration, please see https://events.prace-ri.eu/event/632/

Please also pass this course announcement to other interested colleagues.

Other upcoming courses and workshops at LRZ:

C Language for Beginners<https://www.lrz.de/services/compute/courses/2017-10-24_hcfb1w17/>
Tuesday, October 24 - Thursday, October 26, 2017, 9:00 - 16:30
C++ Language for Beginners<https://www.lrz.de/services/compute/courses/2017-11-07_hcpb1w17/>
Tuesday, November 7 - Friday, November 10, 2017, 9:00 - 16:30
PRACE PATC Course: Node-Level Performance Engineering<https://www.lrz.de/services/compute/courses/2017-11-30_hnpf1w17/>
Thursday, November 30 - Friday, December 1, 2017, 9:00 - 17:00
Molecular Modeling with Schrödinger-Suite Workshop<https://www.lrz.de/services/compute/courses/2017-12-05_md1w17/>
Tuesday, December 5 - Thursday, December 7, 2017
PRACE PATC Course: Introduction to hybrid programming in HPC<https://www.lrz.de/services/compute/courses/2018-01-18_hhyp1w17/>
Thursday, January 18, 2018, 10:00 - 17:00
Programming with Fortran<https://www.lrz.de/services/compute/courses/2018-02-14_hfor1w17/>
Wednesday, February 14 - Friday, February 16, 2018, 9:00-18:00
Parallel Programming of High Performance Systems<https://www.lrz.de/services/compute/courses/2018-03-12_hppb1w17/>
Monday, March 12 - Friday, March 16, 2018, 9:00-18:00
PRACE PATC Course: Advanced Topics in High Performance Computing<https://www.lrz.de/services/compute/courses/2018-03-26_hppa1w17/>
Monday, March 26, 2018 - Thursday, March 29, 2018, 9:00-17:30
PRACE PATC Workshop: VI-HPS Tuning Workshop<https://www.lrz.de/services/compute/courses/2018-04-23_hhps1s18/>
Monday, April 23 - Friday, April 27, 2018, 9:00-18:00

Information on further HPC courses:

  - by LRZ:  http://www.lrz.de/services/compute/courses/

  - by the Gauss Centre of Supercomputing (GCS):   http://www.gauss-centre.eu/training

  - by the PRACE Advanced Training Centres (PATCs): http://www.training.prace-ri.eu/

Kind regards,

Volker Weinberg

--

Dr. Volker Weinberg

PRACE Advanced Training Centre (PATC) Coordinator

Leibniz-Rechenzentrum der Bayerischen Akademie der Wissenschaften

email:   weinberg at lrz.de<mailto:weinberg at lrz.de>

address: Boltzmannstr. 1 - D-85748 Garching bei Muenchen

room:    E.1.016

phone:   +49 (89) 35831-8863