[LMU-OSC News] Newsletter May 2022

LMU Open Science Center News lmu-osc at lists.lrz.de
Mon May 9 12:38:33 CEST 2022

[https://d15k2d11r6t6rl.cloudfront.net/public/users/Integrators/BeeProAgency/795112_778914/lmu-osc_logo_large-xaV.jpg]

1. OSC news

The Open Science Center now has a coordinator!

We are very happy to introduce you to our first Open Science Center Coordinator Malika Ihle, who joined our team on the 1st May 2022.
Malika has been dedicated to improve the openness, reliability, and reproducibility of her own research, as well as academic research in general, during her PhD and post-docs in the field of biology. She has then coordinated Reproducible Research Oxford, a grassroots initiative promoting open research at the University of Oxford, for 2.5 years, before chosing to join us to continue fulfilling her vocation. We are very excited to welcome her to the OSC.

[https://d15k2d11r6t6rl.cloudfront.net/public/users/Integrators/BeeProAgency/795112_778914/clip_image001-4lL.png]

We are looking forward to further promote open and reproducible research with Malika’s help here at the LMU. Welcome Malika!

News from institutional members

·       University Library:
o   Organisation of a Research Data Management - Helpdesk: general RDM-counseling for LMU members (contact: forschungsdaten at ub.uni-muenchen.de<mailto:forschungsdaten at ub.uni-muenchen.de> or rdm at ub.uni-muenchen.de<mailto:rdm at ub.uni-muenchen.de>)
o   New search interface for research data: Discover<https://discover.ub.uni-muenchen.de/>
o   Check out the Research Data Management Organiser: RDMO<https://rdmo.ub.uni-muenchen.de/>
·       LMU Center for Digital Humanities
o   Partner in model project research-data-management Bavaria<https://www.fdm-bayern.org> „eHumanities-interdisziplinär“: extended until 2023
o   Development of workflows<https://zenodo.org/record/5031603#.YgI3RS9XZQI> and guidelines<https://epub.ub.uni-muenchen.de/72675/> for RDM in the humanities at the LMU in collaboration with the University Library

Past events

·       10. and 24.11.2021: Workshop: “Tips and tools for a reproducible workflow“ led by Dr. Caroline Zygar-Hoffmann and Moritz Fischer (slides day 1<https://osf.io/sj5b7/>, slides day 2<https://osf.io/kev53/>)
·       16.11.2021: German Reproducibility Day by the German Reproducibility Network (programme<https://reproducibilitynetwork.de/germanreproday/>)
·       08.03.2022: Workshop: “Open Data, Data Sharing und Datenschutz der Medizin: Wunsch und Wirklichkeit“ held by the LMU Open Science Initiative in Medicine (OSIM) and the Institute for Medical Information Processing, Biometry, and Epidemiology (IBE) (more information<https://www.osc.uni-muenchen.de/news/workshop_osim_data/index.html>)

2. Future event

Please register<https://lmu-munich.zoom.us/webinar/register/2416520857061/WN_5dfoqO6eRAmCQMyw7OOhSw> for this symposium and panel discussion jointly organised by the LMU OSC and the Deutscher Hochschulverband (DHV) :

20.06.2022, 16:00-18:00: "How paper mills publish fake science industrial-style - is there really a problem and how does it work?"

Our trust in academic publishing is the foundation of science. However, there is now an unprecedented industry-style, AI-supported production by paper mills of fake scientific manuscripts which has scaled-up to support a billion-euro industry. Its scope is a concerning, systematic criminal attack on the permanent scientific record.

·       “Fake science publications by paper-mills: pollution of the permanent scientific record” by  Bernhard Sabel (Director, Inst. of Medical Psychology, Univ. Magdeburg)
·       "Radical steps to improve the quality of the preclinical research literature" by Jennifer Byrne (Director of Biobanking, NSW Health Pathology, Univ. Sydney)
·       “Scientific fraud: whose problem is it?" by Dorothy Bishop (Prof. of Developmental Neuropsychology, Univ. Oxford)
·       “The publishers´ perspective of fraud & fake in scientific publishing” by  Chris Graf (Research Integrity Director, Springer/Nature, London)

This event will be hybrid and take place at Luisenstr. 37, Munich as well as on Zoom.

Registration page<https://lmu-munich.zoom.us/webinar/register/2416520857061/WN_5dfoqO6eRAmCQMyw7OOhSw>

3. Publications from our members

In this section we feature selected papers from our members relating to open research.

·       Our member Julian Unkel was a co-author for: „An agenda for open science in communication“. In order to face the challenges which have caused low reproducibility in ommunication research, seven suggestions to adopt open science practices are proposed… (https://doi.org/10.1093/joc/jqz052)
·       Our members Katrin Auspurg and Josef Brüderl also published a new paper: „Has the Credibility of the Sciences Been Credibly Destroyed? Reanalyzing the "Many Analysts, One Data Set" Project“. The paper gives insight into why the results on this project diverged so much and how in the future this can be avoided. This leads to a broad conclusion on how social science research can become more credible… (https://doi.org/10.1177/23780231211024421)

Note: If you have a new publication about open research and related topics, send a note to franka.etzel at campus.lmu.de<mailto:franka.etzel at campus.lmu.de>, and we will be happy to feature it in our next newsletter.

4. General news about open research

Open Science Policy at the University of Erlangen

The Friedrich-Alexander-University Erlangen-Nürnberg (FAU) is the very first university in Germany to pass an Open Science Policy<https://ub.fau.de/2021/11/02/open-science-policy-fuer-die-fau/>. On 13th October 2021 the Policy developed by the Chief Information Officer, the Open-Access-Manager, the University Management, and the Service Units, went into effect.

Open Science Policy at the University of Konstanz

On 24th November 2021, the senate and rectorate of the University of Konstanz passed the Open Science Policy<https://www.kim.uni-konstanz.de/openscience/open-science-policy/> with the goal to make all steps of the scientific process openly accessible and reproducible. The University of Konstanz is among the first Universities in Germany to make the principles of Open Science an official guiding principle.

5. New members

The Open Science Center now counts 73 members. We are happy to introduce our 4 latest members to you!

[https://d15k2d11r6t6rl.cloudfront.net/public/users/Integrators/BeeProAgency/795112_778914/mario_haim.jpg]<https://www.osc.uni-muenchen.de/members/individual-members/haim1/index.html>

Prof. Dr. Mario Haim<https://www.osc.uni-muenchen.de/members/individual-members/haim1/index.html>

Communication and Media

[https://d15k2d11r6t6rl.cloudfront.net/public/users/Integrators/BeeProAgency/795112_778914/caro_profile_128.png]<https://www.osc.uni-muenchen.de/members/individual-members/haensch/index.html>

Dr. Anna-Carolina Haensch<https://www.osc.uni-muenchen.de/members/individual-members/haensch/index.html>

Department of Statistics

[https://d15k2d11r6t6rl.cloudfront.net/public/users/Integrators/BeeProAgency/795112_778914/editor_images/2ca43e29-bcbc-4d6d-9cfe-7b561b7dd57d.jpg]<https://www.osc.uni-muenchen.de/members/individual-members/kreuter/index.html>

Prof. Dr. Frauke Kreuter<https://www.osc.uni-muenchen.de/members/individual-members/kreuter/index.html>

Department of Statistics

[https://d15k2d11r6t6rl.cloudfront.net/public/users/Integrators/BeeProAgency/795112_778914/zaefferer.JPG]<https://www.osc.uni-muenchen.de/members/individual-members/zaefferer/index.html>

Prof. Dr. Dietmar Zaefferer<https://www.osc.uni-muenchen.de/members/individual-members/zaefferer/index.html>

Theoretical Linguistics

6. Follow us

Visit our website at: www.osc.lmu.de<https://www.osc.uni-muenchen.de/index.html> and follow us on Twitter at: @lmu_osc<https://twitter.com/lmu_osc>

Do you have any suggestions or contributions for the next newsletter? Or perhaps you'd like to publish your news on our website, or request a tweet/re-tweet from our account? Email us at franka.etzel at campus.lmu.de<mailto:Franka.etzel at campus.lmu.de>

[Designed with BEE]<https://www.designedwithbee.com/?utm_source=editor&utm_medium=bee_pro&utm_campaign=free_footer_link>

Designed with BEE<https://www.designedwithbee.com/?utm_source=editor&utm_medium=bee_pro&utm_campaign=free_footer_link>