Talk by Karen Crowther at MCMP (Wed. 13. Nov)

Dardashti, Radin Radin.Dardashti at lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Mon Nov 11 09:59:14 CET 2013

Speaker: Karen Crowther (Sydney)
Wednesday 13th Nov 2013
Ludwigstr.31 Room E021
Time: 4 to 6 pm

Title: Emergent spacetime in condensed matter analogues of general
relativity

Abstract:
It has been claimed, based on a few different lines of reasoning, that
the notion of spacetime will not appear in a quantum theory of gravity.
If this is the case, then spacetime is an emergent concept. Analogue
models of general relativity based in condensed matter systems present
us with concrete examples of emergent spacetime, and could potentially
help us understand the nature of emergent spacetime in the context of
quantum gravity. These models present a curved spacetime metric that is
described using an effective field theory. In this talk, I explore the
conception of emergence that is relevant to analogue spacetime in the
condensed matter models. This is a conception of emergence that also
applies more generally to other effective field theories, and, as I
argue, one that is best understood without appeal to the idea of
reduction. I finish by briefly mentioning some potential implications
for quantum gravity.