Talk by James P. Sethna at ASC (Jan 16)

Dardashti, Radin Radin.Dardashti at lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Wed Jan 15 09:44:20 CET 2014

Speaker: James P. Sethna (Cornell University)
Thursday 16th Jan 2014
Location: Room A348/349, Theresienstr. 37/III
Time: 12:15 - 13:45

Title: Sloppy Models and How Science Works

Abstract:
"With four parameters I can fit an elephant; with five I can make it
wag its tail.” Systems biology models of the cell have an enormous
number of reactions between proteins, RNA, and DNA whose rates
(parameters) are hard to measure. Models of climate change, ecosystems,
and macroeconomics also have parameters that are hard or impossible to
measure directly. If we fit these unknown parameters, fiddling with them
until they agree with past experiments, how much can we trust their
predictions? Multiparameter fits are sloppy; the parameters can vary
over enormous ranges and still agree with past experiments. Nonetheless,
they can often make useful predictions about future experiments, even
allowing for these huge parameter uncertainties: a few stiff
combinations of parameters govern the behavior. Third, these sloppy
models all appear strikingly similar to one another – for example, the
stiffnesses in every case we’ve studied are spread roughly uniformly
over a range of over a million. We will use ideas and methods from
differential geometry to explain what sloppiness is and why it happens
so often. Finally, we shall show that models in physics are also sloppy
– that sloppiness makes science possible.