[MCMP] Re: Winter Term 2014/5 Philosophy of Physics Reading Group

Erik Curiel erik at strangebeautiful.com
Sun Oct 12 17:56:26 CEST 2014

Dear philosophers-physicists,

As it turns out, I will not be able to make the first meeting of the
philphys reading group on Tuesday.  (I should have no problem attending
future meetings.)  But, since I read Wilson's article, I figured I would
go ahead and give y'all some of my comments and questions, which may
help foster discussion.  (What I say here may give the impression that I
was not impressed with the article;  that impression would be correct.)

1. I found the discussion of Newton's Second Law in section 2
particularly disappointing.  Given that Wilson in several places makes
reference to Newton's own views on various matters, I find it incredible
that he did not discuss Newton's original formulation of the Second Law,
which is *quite* different in important conceptual and mathematical ways
from the more familiar, Eulerian F=ma.  Most importantly, and to speak
somewhat anachronistically, Newton's formulation is an integral
equation, relating integrated acceleration to what we would today call
impulse.  This is particularly important in the context of several
questions Wilson does discuss, as it allows for the consistent treatment
of the collision of perfectly inelastic point particles, which F=ma does
not.  There also should at least have been mention of the issues that
depend on the class of mathematical functions one will accept as
representations of possible forces.  If one allows, e.g., distributional
forces, then one can get discontinuities even in the time-evolution of
the position of a particle, not just its velocity and acceleration.  And
yet, for many purposes, it seems difficult to do without distributional
forces, at least for pragmatic reasons.

2. section 3, p. 6:  Wilson is just wrong that Newton "had no notion
that energy conservation holds."  The last paragraph of the Scholium to
the Laws in *Principia* very clearly states a conservation principle for
energy, though, obviously, Newton does not describe it as such.

3. section 4, p. 8:  I have no idea why Wilson says that, on the
point-mass approach, "it becomes difficult to see how Newton's laws
could be shown *false*; at best, they might prove an *inconvenient*
series of approximations to utilize."  Putting aside the fact that
Wilson must have meant "at worst" and not "at best", he seems here to be
doing nothing more than advertising his well known predilection
for---prejudice in favor of---continuum readings of classical mechanics.
  He makes no real arguments in favor of the claim, and there seems to
be an obvious counter-argument:  if finer and finer approximations turn
out worse and worse, then the most natural reaction would be to reject
Newton's laws as false.

4. section 5, p. 9: I find his discussion of the supposed
incompatibility of the point-mass approach and the existence of
constraints to be, at best, baffling, and, at worst, deeply confused.
His claim that the wire must be able to "see" the bead's velocity before
the bead approaches a given point, in order to know the force needed to
keep the bead on the wire as it passes that point, is just the deeply
mistaken teleological reading of Newton's Second Law.  The wire doesn't
"know" or "see" anything.  If the bead stays on the wire as it passes a
given point with a given velocity, then we know the force the wire
exerted on the bead at that point.  That's all there is to say.  And, in
any event, even if one were to be able to make sense of what the hell
Wilson is talking about here, *nothing* in the discussion indicates that
it is in any way peculiar to the behavior of *point-masses*.  If there
is a real problem here, it arises for extended bodies as well.  This is
just, once again, Wilson's irrational prejudice against pointilliste
readings of classical mechanics.  (It's not that I'm a particular fan of
pointilliste readings of classical mechanics---it's just that nothing
Wilson says against them seems cogent or relevant.)

5. section 5, p. 11: "once the basic 'particles' of mechanics are
granted any spatial extension at all, they are likely to lose their
postulated rigidity"---Wilson seems to assume without argument or remark
that this is a bad thing for the 'basic-particle' view.  The only reason
I can see for his thinking so is, again, his prejudice in favor of
continuum-interpretations of classical mechanics.

6. section 5, p. 12: he says that, infinitesimal readings of F=ma,
though common in textbooks, are a mistake, and that "the considered
modern opinion" is that F=ma should apply only to extended parts of a
continuous body.  I have *no fucking idea* what he is talking about.
First, I have read many works on classical mechanics, and I have never
once seen that view expressed, by a physicist, by a mathematician, or by
a philosopher---with the exception of Mark Wilson.  I know he thinks
highly of himself, but surely even he doesn't think that his saying so
by itself automatically transforms a statement into "the considered
modern opinion".  Second, I don't even know what the view means.  The
only way I can begin to try to make sense of it is to interpret F and a
in not obvious and highly unorthodox ways, and even then it seems highly
likely that it just won't hold true most of the time, no matter what one
does.

7. section 7, p. 14: The question that opens section 7 is silly.
Nothing else.  Why would any serious philosopher, historian or physicist
think it is even a well posed question in the first place, much more one
with an answer?

--
Erik Curiel

Postdoctoral Fellow
Munich Center for Mathematical Philosophy
Lehrstuhl für Wissenschaftstheorie
Fakultät für Philosophie, Wissenschaftstheorie und Religionswissenschaft
Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität
Ludwigstraße 31
80539 München, Deutschland

http://strangebeautiful.com