Next Philosophy of Physics Reading Group Meeting: 28 Oct.

Fletcher, Samuel Samuel.Fletcher at lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Fri Oct 17 10:17:52 CEST 2014

Dear Colleagues,

Our next meeting will run from 14:15-16:00 on the date indicated.  Erik
Curiel will lead discussion on the first three sections of J.
Butterfield's manuscript, "Between Laws and Models: Some Philosophical
Morals of Lagrangian Mechanics."  You can find the most up-to-date
version of it on the Pitt PhilSci Archive
(http://philsci-archive.pitt.edu/1937/) or on the arXiv
(http://arxiv.org/abs/physics/0409030).

As a reminder, here is the schedule of meetings we (tentatively) agreed
upon for the rest of the term: 28 Oct, 11 Nov, 25 Nov, 16 Dec, 13 Jan,
27 Jan.

For those who were not able to be present for the first meeting on
Tuesday, I've attached a document with a list of possible topics we can
cover.  When we finish #4 (which is just the above manuscript by
Butterfield), we'll vote on the next one.  Also for those folks: please
leave a bit of extra time to reach the seminar room, E341 in the main
university building.  The only entrance is from a special door
accessible from the southern courtyard, which leads to a large
stairwell.  (The door is marked for E341.)  One then reaches the room
only after many flights of stairs.  I'm sorry for the inconvenient
location, but unfortunately it was the only room nearby available at our
requested time.

Best wishes,
~Sam