Talk by Elena Castellani at MCMP (Jan 28)

Dardashti, Radin Radin.Dardashti at lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Tue Jan 27 16:25:06 CET 2015

Speaker: Elena Castellani (Florence)
Date: Wed., January 28
Location: Ludwigstr. 31, ground floor, room 021
Time: 18:15 - 19:45

Title: Dual Objects

Abstract:
The talk elaborates on Ashoke Sen's view that the discovery of physical
dualities in the context of quantum field theory and string theory has
radically changed our understanding of the ultimate constituents of
matter “by bringing in a sort of democracy between all particles,
elementary and composite” (Sen, 1996). I argue that such apparently
puzzling ontological features of dualities can be better understood by
following a structural approach to the objects of physics. The
background is the current discussion on structuralist stances in
physics.