Philosophy of Physics Talks at LMU this week

Michael Cuffaro mike at michaelcuffaro.com
Tue Nov 25 12:24:50 CET 2014

Speaker: Michael Esfeld (Lausanne)
Date: Wed, November 26
Location: Ludwigstr. 31, ground floor, room 021
Time: 16:00 - 18:00

Title: The primitive ontology of quantum physics

Abstract: In this talk, I will first recall the arguments why we need
what is known as a primitive ontology of quantum physics and then argue
that this ontology consists in primitive stuff that is structurally
individuated through metrical relations (but without a commitment to
absolute space). Against this background, the only reason to admit
physical properties then is that they play a causal role for the
temporal development of the primitive stuff. I will sketch out two
metaphysical views of these properties, namely Humeanism and
dispositionalism.

Speaker: Cesar Gomez (Univ. Autonoma de Madrid)